7.7 magnitude. Tsunami warnings issued for Papua New Guinea, New Caledonia, Vanuatu, Tuvalu, Solomons and Kosrae.
14.622°S 73.566°W depth=58.9km (36.6 mi)
- 42km (26mi) ENE of Tambo, Peru
- 61km (38mi) E of Puquio, Peru
- 108km (67mi) S of Andahuaylas, Peru
- 131km (81mi) SW of Abancay, Peru
- 471km (293mi) SE of Lima, Peru
Napa Valley area. 10-15,000 people without power. The quake is the largest to hit the area since 1989 25 years ago. Moderate damage anticipated. Low casualty risk.
Distances from epicenter:
- 6km (4mi) NW of American Canyon, California
- 9km (6mi) SSW of Napa, California
- 13km (8mi) NNW of Vallejo, California
- 14km (9mi) SE of Sonoma, California
- 82km (51mi) WSW of Sacramento, California
Approximately 1.5 hours ago. 309 km (192 miles) WNW (290 degrees) of Sibolga, Sumatra, Indonesia.
2 large earthquakes struck around the planet last night and today. Last night shortly after 10pm (EDT), a 6.0 earthquake hit Northern Italy followed by another 5 earthquakes ranging from 4-5.1 magnitude in intensity in the same area. 7 were reported killed along with significant structural damage was reported. A 6.0 magnitude earthquake struck off Honshu, Japan at half past 3 AM (EDT) today followed by 4 additional quakes in the 5+ magnitude range. There was also a smaller swarm of tremblers ranging in size from 2+ to 3+ in the Baja, California region.
Tonight we also have the special treat of a full solar eclipse tonight beginning around 9pm (PDT) which will unfortunately be missed in the Eastern U.S. but seen to some degree by almost everyone else.